Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Silently Installing Audacity and LAME

Want to silently install Audacity and LAME?

Audacity

I learned my lesson in my previous adventures looking for silent install switches for iPrint (here's that post Removing iPrint Printers).  This time I started out running audacity-win-2.0.5.exe /? to see if there are any silent install options.  What do you know, there are. The "/SILENT" option looks promising for my needs.  I think I'll go ahead and add the "/CLOSEAPPLICATIONS" option in there too just so I don't get any pesky, "You need to reboot" messages.  I'm also going to go ahead and add the "/LOG" option too.  In the past I always skipped logging stuff just to make things faster, but as of late I've decided that having some log data lying around can come in handy and is worth the extra second it takes.

LAME

Unfortunately, the learned lesson with the "/?" is lost on LAME.  It doesn't support that, guess I'll have to go search for this one.  A quick search doesn't return an obvious answer.  A lot of install guides but no body talking about installing silently.  I did find a link to a WPKG package that has some command line switches burried in their XML file listed on the site.  It looks like LAME will take similar options to Audacity.  I'm going to pick the "/VERYSILENT", "/NORESTART", and "/LOG" options for the LAME installation.


Wrapping It Up

For both of the installations I just let it put the files in their default locations.  In the past you had to point Audacity to the LAME files so I used to always install the LAME dll files inside the Audacity directory.  That way when the end users tried to Export as MP3 and the window popped up asking for the dll file it was right there ready to click on.  It looks like in this new version of Audacity automatically searches the default LAME install folder (C:\Program Files\LAME for Windows).  Which is nice, that's one less thing for the end user to have to do.

I went ahead and built separate ZENworks installers for both Audacity and LAME.  I don't know why I'd ever deploy them separately, but now I can if I need to.  I'm also building a Bundle Group to include both of those installers to make it easier to assign to users.

No comments:

Post a Comment